Are you like me and wonder–when did we start celebrating all of these “days”? I feel like when we were kids, there were a few important days on the calendar: Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and my birthday. Now, there is a day for all kinds of things– I am here for it!
Today is International Women’s Day and what I found surprising is that this has been a “thing” for decades! The first “Women’s Day” was organized in 1908. I am so proud of what the women before me have done in the time since and excited to see where things are headed.
Of course, today is not just about famous quotes or instagram posts–although those things are fun and worthwhile! There are a lot of important conversations happening to day in addition to events all around the country.
Wondering how to celebrate today? Here’s a few suggestions
- If you are going to post, consider using the official hashtags #balanceforbetter and #IWD2019. You can find out more about the #balanceforbetter campaign here.
- If you’re in Charlotte, go check out the new mural at the Hal Marshall Annex on College St. It is by artist Nick Napoletano.
- Tonight, in Charlotte, there is also a free event at the International House on Central, celebrating the Balance for Better theme.
- In Raleigh, you can support any one of the number of female run businesses featured here.
- Want to involve your kiddos? This is a fun resource to teach them about pioneering women who may not be feature in their textbooks.
- If all else fails, call your mama, your sister or your best friends and thank them for the ways they have contributed to your life.
“Here’s to strong women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.”